The Kite Festival
GrieveWell’s Annual Kite Festival!
GrieveWell hosts Ann Arbor’s only kite festival each year in June at Pioneer High School! The Kite Festival is a free community event sharing the joy of the outdoors and the whimsy of kites, while remembering and honoring lost loved ones. Attendees include community members, kite enthusiasts, GrieveWell supporters and family members sharing the joy of the outdoors and the whimsy of the kites.
Thank you to all of our Sponsors and participants for an amazing Kite Festival in 2018!
The Kite Festival features:
- Professional kite shows from amateur and professional kite teams
- Voting for the Fan Favorites in the community wide Kite Coloring Contest
- Frustrationless Flyer kites—easy to fly kites for any age or skill level!—will be availble for $5
- A memorial mural for those who wish to honor the memory of a loved one
- Fun giveaways from GrieveWell and Festival sponsors
- Kids Zone including crafts and games
- Food and treats (available for purchase)
- Information about the GrieveWell mission and vision
Each year, hundreds of local school children participate in our annual kite coloring contest!
Leading up the the Kite Festival, hundreds of kites are submitted by area schools. Guest celebrity judges including the Ann Arbor Mayor Christopher Taylor, Former U of M Football Coach Lloyd and Laurie Carr, and Radio Personality Lucy Ann Lance then select their favorites from each school. The judges’ top picks are displayed during the festival, and attendees cast their vote to choose the fan favorites. Winner are announced each year during the festival!
Celebrate the memory of loved ones at the Fly and Remember Memorial Service, hosted with Arbor Hospice and Ele’s Place.
Before the festival, GrieveWell, Arbor Hospice, and Ele’s Place invite those who have lost a loved one to remember the fond memories you shared by personalizing and flying a kite in their honor. You can also personalize a paper tile to add to our memorial mural. All materials are provided. Anyone who has experienced the loss of a loved one is welcome.
DONATE // support our mission
Learn more about the lives we touch and how your contribution can help build a community of hope & healing.